Thursday 23 May 2013

On the telly racing...

A couple of years ago Andy and I popped down to Stoke on Trent to watch the Tour Series races in the city centre. We had a great day out and enjoyed watching both the men's and the women's races. Since then we've watched the coverage on ITV4 and cheered on our favourites.
This year I have had various people ask whether my team was going to be riding the series. the short answer was no, they are mostly miles away and would involve people taking time off work, travelling a long way and finding the racing really hard.

On tuesday morning I got a message from Alan Sheldon, he looks after the women's team at VC St Raphael. "How would you like to come and be a guest rider for us at Stoke Tour Series?" Wow I thought, really?? Quickly followed by, why the hell not! What an opportunity to go and experience a big event. So I said "Yes!"
Great - Alan sounded happy and said he'd try and get it all sorted with the organisers. Now came the stumbling block - the series doesn't allow guest riders - boo!
By a series of flukes and good fortune it all worked out that I got permission to ride as myself and in my Manchester Wheelers kit - winner all round!
A huge thank you to Alan for giving me the opportunity, driving me down there and looking after me.

On the start line - photo Alan Sheldon


So what was it like? How did I get on?
Hmmm, well it was an amazing experience. Lining up at the start with a big crowd of people, music a commentator/crowd pumper and a totally railed off course was amazing! My getaway from the startline was frankly appalling! One of those occasions where you completely blow getting your foot in, which under the circumstances was less than ideal. The race shot off the line at a high speed so I was in full chase mode immediately. The start finish straight is an uphill drag and then turns down a fairly steep little hill, round some good wiggles, up a little hill past the pits and then back onto the start finish straight. Within the first couple of laps I was already off the back of the bunch along with a few other girls and by half way through the race our group had swelled to around 10 riders. Some we picked up some in front and some others that came round and joined us a lap ahead. The leaders came through with one of the MuleBar girls on a race wining solo break, she was super strong and managed to take a minute out of the field and hold on for the win - well done Natalie Creswick!

We lapped riders continued along in our own race and had a mini sprint for the line at 3 laps to go when we got pulled out. I was not totally disappointed with how I rode, I know I should have stayed in for longer, and having positioned myself at the front on the start line that would have been a real possibility had I got my foot straight into the pedal! But I was never in any danger of getting left behind by my group-mates and they main thing was that I really enjoyed the whole atmosphere.
My final result was 32nd - which wasn't last (40 riders)!

Some great pics on Ed Rollason's flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed_rollason/sets/72157633609607946/

The TV coverage was well, minimal! The women's race got the starting few seconds and the last lap shown and a load of chat.....they are promising more race footage for the next round. If you look closely at the start you can catch a glimpse of the Manchester Wheelers kit.....
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/cycling-tour-series

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Well done for getting on the telly. The ladies coverage spent more time interviewing a ladies male team manager than actually showing you racing. Very poor. Great to see the Wheelers kit though. Well done Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting mixed up you are doing so much stuff, watched the Stoke race before I knew you were in it, so I will watch it again. The Milk Race is on Eurosport 2 HD 20:30 Tuesday 04/06/2013 are you in that? Well done anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Rick, didn't read this soon enough - yes was in the Milk Race! Finally got shown on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete