Tuesday 11 June 2013

The whirlwind continues

Not sure about people that actually read this blog, but I'm in a bit of a whirl trying to keep up with where I'm going  and what I'm supposed to be doing - although I guess on the whole pedal faster/harder is the general idea!

Signing on like a proper Pro!
Since the trip to Stoke, and the Club 10 PB, it should have been time for a little bit of an ease off - but no I was signed up to take part in The Milk Race - a race that's been resurrected after a 20 year absence albeit not in quite the same format. The original Milk Race is now the Tour of Britain, this event was a day of city centre racing in Nottingham. But do you know what it was BRILLIANT!
The prize money for the mens and women's races was set to the same level and it brought out an amazing field - all the domestic men's pro teams turned up - along with a load of smaller team riders. The women's race had some of the biggest stars with Dani King (olympic champ), and a couple of her Wiggle Honda teammates.
Warming up on the circuit.
I entered because, well because I could and it was only £5 entry fee - I really don't mind paying that to get completely battered by much better riders! The event was amazing, blessed with incredible sunshine and hence great crowds it was even better than riding the Tour Series race.
Yes, of course I got dropped - but I hung on for a little while and myself and 4 other girls were in the second group on the course so pretty respectable I'd say. Dani King was a complete legend breaking off the front and staying away for more than half the race, she lapped my group twice - but the front bunch only caught us once in the hour long race so I think we were all pretty happy with that.
I ended up with approximately 21st place - the only disappointing part of the entire experience was the complete mess they made of the results for anyone who wasn't in the front group! They haven't sorted it out and I don't think they will now, but I know myself where I came 4th in the bunch I was with and we were behind 16 in the front group plus Dani.


The race was filmed and after a couple of false starts due to over-running tennis matches and the poor scheduling of British Eurosport it finally got broadcast on Sunday eve. WOW - what a difference to the Tour Series coverage - absolutely equal between the men's and women's races - amazing! Was pretty cool to see the Manchester Wheelers jersey razzing around on the tail end of the group at the start of the race!

No comments:

Post a Comment